BC College of Social Workers
The BC College of Social Workers (BCCSW) is the regulatory body for the practice of social work in British Columbia. Our mandate is to protect the public interest by establishing and supporting high standards for qualified Registered Social Workers.
Registration Renewals Are Now Closed
Registrants who failed to renew their registration by January 31st are no longer registered with the College. Former registrants whose registration status is ‘Cancelled’ are ineligible to practice and unable to use the title ‘Registered Social Worker’.
If you missed the deadline and still wish to be registered, you are able to reinstate your registration at a cost totaling the original renewal amount plus an additional 35% reinstatement fee. Please see our Renewals page for fee information. Click the link below to download the reinstatement form:
Completed forms and fees must be received on or before April 30th by mail, scan/email, or fax. Personal cheques will be accepted until April 15th. Reinstatements received after April 30th will not be accepted and registration for those individuals will be closed permanently.
Board Election Results
Congratulations and a warm welcome to the newly elected (3) and re-elected (1) members of the 2016 BCCSW Board:
Susan Barr [re-elected]
Problems or questions about CPD? Read here first
Having problems, getting frustrated? Save time and energy by reading a little about the CPD program and system requirements for accessing the online tool. We’ve added some information about CPD to our website. Click here to read about it.
Problems Accessing the CPD Menu Options?
System updates have caused changes to the MENU options found in to the member services portal. If these options (usually situated on the left side of the screen) do not appear, look for a black ‘MENU’ button and click ‘CPD’. Once the CPD planner appears, click ‘MENU’ again, followed by ‘CPD’ again. On the second click, the options required to complete your CPD – ‘Goals and Activities’, ‘Statement on Learning’ & ‘Submit to College’ – should appear. Maximizing your browser window may also resolve the issue.
The CPD reporting tool for 2015 is available through the member portal. Submissions may only be made through the online tool. Here are the steps to complete the process:
- Log into the member portal with your registration number and password
- Click CPD from the menu.
- Click “Goals and Activities”
- Click “New Goal” to create and enter a new goal. Make sure to save your description. Repeat for multiple goals.
- Within each goal, click “Add Activity” to log your activities/. Choose the category of learning and write a brief description. Enter the hours spent and a completed date if complete.
- Remember that there are 15 hours maximums for each learning category. You can use different categories to maximize your professional development.
Once you have met the hourly requirement, you need to:
- Write and save a short “Statement on Learning”.
- Click “Submit to College” tab, check the declaration and click save.
College Conversation – Summer/Fall 2015
Highlights from Issue 11 include…
- Reports from BCCSW’s Registrar & Board Chair
- Continuing Professional Development FAQs
- Negligence & Documentation
- A Path to Private Practice
- Ministry of Health Updates
- & plenty more
View or download the pdf HERE.
Adult Guardianship Training: Update
The Government recently brought into force new regulations concerning adult guardianship practice in BC. As part of those changes, the College was required to develop Standards, Limits, and Conditions. Details may be found here. As part of that work, the College developed a scope of practice statement which, in compliance with the regulation, requires that registrants who are either selected by their employer or wish to provide a private service in the event of a request for a second assessment must complete a training program prior to providing that service. Not all registrants are required to take the course. Only those selected by an employer or a registrant who wishes to provide the service are required to take the program.
Please note the following. The course referred to in the scope of practice statement is an online course developed by the Ministry of Health and available through the PHSA learning hub.
The courses listed in conditions 1(b) and 1(c) are not currently available.
Please note the following:
- The online course is the mandatory requirement under the college’s conditions.
- The online course is the currently the only program accepted under condition 1(a). The conditions listed in 1(b) and 1(c) are not currently available.
- The online course is available for anyone who wants to take it, but is intended for health authority staff selected by the health authorities for conducting the functional component of the assessment and issuing certificates of incapability.
- You will need to create an account on the PHSA learning hub to access the course
Criminal Records Review Act
The Criminal Records Review Act (CRRA) requires that persons registered with professional regulatory colleges undergo a CRRA check not less than every five years. As a registrant of the BC College of Social Workers, the CRRA requires registrants to consent to the criminal records review check. Registrants who are due for the five-year check will be notified by mail. The required consent for is available here for those who prefer to print the form.
If you encounter any difficulty opening the link to the form, please email the College at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange to have this form emailed or mailed to you.
Important Information for Applicants Without a Social Work Degree
The Board of the College recently adopted a new policy that clarified the requirements for applicants without a social work degree. The Bylaws of the College provide for a person with a related degree to make application. This new policy provides information about the types of degrees that are considered “related” and other requirements.
For applicants without a social work degree effective January 1, 2013- click here for details.