Step 1: All applicants must:
- Complete the application package
- Pay the $120 non-refundable application fee
- Arrange to have an official copy of their social work degree transcript sent to the College
- Degrees must be from schools accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and approved by the College.
- Undergo the following criminal record checks:
- Complete the ‘Consent to Criminal Record Check’ form (pages 9&10 of the application) and submit to the College. The College will conduct this check on the applicant’s behalf
- Obtain an FBI Identity History Summary Check and mail the original copy of the check to the College.
- Obtain any other criminal record check required by the College.
- Provide a copy of two pieces of identification (one must be government issued photo identification such as a driver’s license or passport)
- Provide an up to date resume
- Arrange for two character references to be sent directly to the College by the referees
- Applicants that have been registered with other regulatory bodies will be required to complete the Verification of Registration/Licensure form
*Please note: The College may contact applicants to request additional information if necessary.
Step 2: Once all of the required documents have been received, the College will review the application in its entirety. If it is determined that the application meets the registration requirements, the applicant will receive an email from the College notifying that they have been approved to take the licensure exam by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB). Please be advised that the ASWB charges a fee for writing the exam.
- Exemption from writing the exam will be granted to the applicants who have already completed the ASWB examination and are currently registered/licensed with another social work regulator
- Applicants to arrange for their official score report to be sent to the College by ASWB
Step 3: After receiving the exam approval email from the College, the applicant can register for the exam through the ASWB. Please visit the ASWB’s website (www.aswb.org) and read the Candidate Handbook (PDF) under the Exam Candidates section.
Step 4: Once registration for the exam is complete, ASWB will send the applicant an Authorization to Test. When the applicant receives this authorization, they can schedule an appointment for the exam through Pearson VUE (www.pearsonvue.com/aswb).
Step 5: Within 1-2 weeks after the exam has been taken, the College will receive an official score report from the ASWB. If the applicant has passed the exam, the College will send him/her an application approval email with an invoice for a registration fee. Payment of the registration fee will complete the registration process.