Provisional Registered Social Worker (Provisional RSW)
A registrant in the Provisional class may use the title Provisional RSW and practice under the similar scope of practice as an RSW but with certain restrictions. A Provisional RSW may only engage practice in a supervised setting, and may not engage in private practice. A Provisional RSW may not undertake clinical social work.
To apply for registration in the Provisional class, an applicant must submit a Provisional application in addition to an RSW application and meet the following requirements:
- graduation from an academic program approved by the board with:
- a baccalaureate, master’s, or doctoral degree in social work;
- credential in social work equivalent to an undergraduate or postgraduate baccalaureate, master’s, or doctoral degree in social work;
- has an employment opportunity, where the employer is willing to employ a provisional registrant;
- meets all the requirements for registration in the Full class, except for completion of the licensure exam; and
- has registered for the licensure exam and booked an appointment date.
An applicant may be granted provisional registration for one year. During this one-year period, an applicant has a maximum of three attempts to pass the exam. If an applicant is unsuccessful in all three attempts, the applicant may request the fourth attempt. A one-year renewal of provisional registration may be requested.
A Provisional RSW must complete the annual Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements.
Application fee: $120
Annual fee: $200
Provisional Application and Instructions
Full Registration Application and Instructions